[NAFEX] Green Gage plum

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:11:24 EST 2009

Trees sold as Green Gage are often misidentified in the trade and I have
spent years tracking down a legitimate Reine Claude.  Miller's sold me a
quantity of GG's that produced a mediocre (at best) extremely early purple
plum.  I managed an orchard  that had ordered over 50 "Green Gages" from
Adams County (usually a reliable source unlike Miller's IMO) that were some
kind of Japanese green plum that they claimed when I called them was the
"Japanese Green Gage".  They did not make this distinction in their
catalogue.

Trees I have now are from Cummins nursery and Adams as they claim to have
the real thing now and I believe them.  On the west coast I'd trust Trees of
Antiquity and Raintree to sell you the real McCoy.

Do not judge prune plums by the quality of Stanley which is generally
considered mediocre in quality but very reliable in northeastern conditions
where I grow fruit (Z6, NY).  You have so many choices in the west coast
that I don't know what would be best for you.  Maybe Autumn Sweet if you
want intense sugar.  For an early Gage type, Oullins has very high quality.