[NAFEX] Gages that are real greengages?

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 01:23:31 EST 2009

There have been rumors that not all greengages on the market are really
greengages or worth the bother.  But I'd like to try one (or a mirabelle,
something with serious flavor).  Does anyone know which ones from which
catalogs really do have outstanding flavor for jams/processing?  I'm
considering Bavay Gage though I'd prefer an earilier one.  But Raintree
lists the genuine Reine Claude Doree.

Also on the subject of plums, is there a prune plum that's not dark
purple?  The Stanley put me off purple prune plums, especially dried, the
skins were so thick.

Lisa, Willamette Valley, Oregon