[NAFEX] Mirabelle

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Nov 19 20:01:03 EST 2009

Claude, how does the Quebec Damas compare with Mount Royal for
coldhardiness?

Is the Damas one clone, a group of clones or a seedling line?

I think one should be careful of the rootstocks for hardy plums. The
seedling Myrobalans that used to be used in the nursery trade in
Southern Ontario were not reliably hardy in zone 6a without heavy snow
cover. Yet, according to "Trees and Shrubs of the Dominion Arboretum"
the Arboretum had (perhaps still has) a strain of Prunus cersifera
(Myrobalan) which was hardy at Ottawa.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada