[NAFEX] Watering young trees in winter

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Nov 19 19:41:08 EST 2009

Caren, if the trees have shed their leaves or even if the leaves are
well coloured, I expect that the trees are far enough into dormancy so
that watering will not encourage  a growth spurt or delayed dormancy.
Here in the Niagara Peninsula the trees have shed their leaves.

I recall advice from the prairies, that if the fall was dry one should
wait to water until the trees went dormant (but preferably give them
enough water in the summer). But it was considered important to get the
trees hydrated before the ground froze.

 From graphs I have seen, cold tolerance is usually not at its maximum
until the first or second week in January.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada