[NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 19 00:14:24 EST 2009

mIEKAL and others Up North,
    I have what is probably a Mirabelle, though I suppose it could just be
St. Julien.  I got mine from east TN where it appeared to be quite resistant
to black knot.  I sent it to Michael Pavelek who complained that it did get
BK there, and who sent me a plum from western PA that he'd collected after
the big BK epidemic that wiped out all the German prune plums that grew
there.  (This was several years before the sharka appeared in PA.)  Neither
seems to do well for me here, though the one did well in east TN.  I am
willing to share scions on one condition, that you take both.  I want them
to be preserved somewhere that they will crop and thus be appreciated.  The
TN plum is small and yellow, the PA plum was small and green, I suppose that
makes it a greengage.   Donna