[NAFEX] Mirabelle

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Wed Nov 18 17:53:06 EST 2009

A 13:43 09.11.18 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>Claude wrote:
>No they are not Mirabelles - they are either Early Golden or Shiro, both
>are japanese plums, another species. Mirabelles are quite smaller than
>that, and Reine-Claude are greener.
>
>Claude, thanks for the correction.  How small are Mirabelles? The plums I
>buy are usually not much bigger than an inch in diameter.

My Mirabelle usually get to 25 mm diameter avereage. These yellow jap plums
are bigger - I would guess 30 to 35 mm dia. We have them here in Quebec
also and they are quite good. They are not hardy here however, they need at
least zone 5. I had an Early Golden in my orchard, and there was a Shiro on
my father's property - both trees died. They do very well in southern Ontario.

If you want, I could probably send you a root sucker of my mirabelle next
May. Be warned however that they take a long time before they start to
produce - mine took 15 years... In comparison, my Mont-Royal, which is
grafted, took 7 years. The Mont-Royal is also a more reliable and heavier
cropper, and hardier also.

Claude