[NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Wed Nov 18 09:30:26 EST 2009

Claude and Doug,

I know sometimes nurseries are very lax about naming.  Here around the
Montreal region, there are many nurseries selling a "Mirabelle" plum, the
cultivar itself not being specified. Most of the nurseries list it as Ag Can
Z4, so suitable for my region.

In late summer we have a lot of farmer's markets and supermarkets selling
baskets of small juicy yellow plums flushed with orange red from Ontario.  I
always assumed they are a Mirabelle type, or they could be Reine Claudes I
suppose. Fully ripe, I find them a particularly tasty treat. Hopefully my
tree will produce similar fruit.

I am a definite newbie but interested in learning. So thanks for the
interesting discussion.

Caren
St. Jerome, QC