[NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Tue Nov 17 13:01:00 EST 2009

Note that "Mirabelle" is a class of plums rather than a cultivar, and
normally it is qualified as in "Mirabelle de Nancy" etc.

They suffer from the same carelessness of nomenclature in North America
as "Damson."

Perhaps one might describe them as "Prunus insititia for fresh eating"
although I have the impression from reading that they are often also
well regarded for cooking; tarts etc.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada