[NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

Claude Jolicoeur cjoli at gmc.ulaval.ca
Tue Nov 17 10:15:48 EST 2009

Doug,
Yes my Mirabelle is of quite good quality, and I would say more than just
"suitable" for fresh eating when well ripe. The racoons are also very found
of it so I usually have to harvest a bit before full maturity. It ripens
about a week later than Mont-Royal.

Next year I intend to take close-up pictures of the flowers and count the
stamens - I read in Plums of NY that P.insititia have a different number of
stamens than P.communis, so hopefully this test should confirm if it is
really a Mirabelle. If you want, I could sent you a picture off list - I
have a nice one with Mirabelle and Blue Damas side by side to compare sizes.

Claude