[NAFEX] Currants and White Pine

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Fri Nov 13 09:04:06 EST 2009

Seth Jones asked, "I'd love to plant currants in the spring but am worried
about the White Pines I have around my house. Been trying to sort out which
varieties are safe and am a little confused.  Anyone have some good hard
information on this."

    I have had Red Lake Currants for twelve years.  There is also wild
currants nearby in the woods.  Both have Blister Rust but the White Pines
haven't been affected.  I suspect the White Pines are resistant and, if so,
could the hype about planting currants be unfounded?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: