[NAFEX] Fw: Little Leaf Linden ,Tilia Cordata

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Fri Nov 13 01:04:51 EST 2009

I've read that NAFEX co-founder Fred Ashworth used to eat young leaves
of basswood (Tilia americana). I've nibbled a few myself, palatable
though they're not my favourite salad vegetable.

Hereabouts, littleleaf lindens (Tilia cordata) are common in the
ornamental nursery trade. I think they are somewhat used as street
trees. There are varieties, perhaps clones of European origin. If you
are in or near a city, ask the parks people.
"Trees in Canada" ( J. L. Farrar) says "Native to Europe; commonly
planted for landscape purposes; tolerates urban conditions."
You might ask Sheffield's Seeds about their sources.

Silver/White linden (Tilia tomentosa) from SE Europe/W Asia is often
used also for urban plantings though I haven't heard how the leaves taste.

Purslane is easy to grow including in midsummer here, succulent, tasty
and nutritions.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada