[NAFEX] Exploring Hardy Peaches

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Thu Nov 12 11:05:42 EST 2009

Evelyn Mellott asked, "In the last Pomona ,Fall 2009 Jim Noted that he has
found if the Peach pit does not freeze the tree won't be hardy.  Is this
because the seeds that are not hardy don't survive the extreme cold to
germinate or does it actually increase the hardiness of the potential tree.
I've often started hardy and less hardy seeds just by giving the proper
chilling ( in the Fridge which
does not freeze but will germinate earlier and can be started inside
earlier) because this gives my little tree more time to mature before it has
to harden off for the winter.  This  is a interesting observation.  Any
further info on this topic Jim?"

    When I first began playing with peaches, I followed everyone's advice
and provided cold treatment in my refrigerator.  Usually about 90 percent of
seeds germinated.  I planted them and 90 percent did not make it through
their first Winter.  Thereafter, I planted peach seeds outside before the
ground froze and got 20 to 30 percent germination with up to 90 percent
survival past their first Winter.  Planting peach seeds outside is a time
and space saver.
    My peach project might be near its end mostly because my parent tree
contracted some strange bark disease and died.  I raised and sold alot of
peach trees and have three seedlings left.  Time will tell if one or more of
the three will be a suitable replacement for that phase of research.  My
second peach project is in its infancy; it involves seed obtained from
Colorado Peaches that germinated after freezing in the ground - 2010 will
tell me how many survived a Winter.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472