[NAFEX] blue persimmon seeds wanted...

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 12 00:06:54 EST 2009

Yuck.  From what I know of blue persimmons, they are just the ones with the
most tannin.  Pretty much inedible till frost, and maybe not then.  The
orange ones are better eating.  I thought we were in the armpit of persimmon
genetics till I went up to Overton co TN where we got a tour of a large cow
pasture with many blue persimmons .
    If the seeds were planted the trees would look exactly like seedlings
from good varieties, and would take up exactly as much room, and take just
as long to crop.  Half would be males, and the others would produce blue,
yes, but inedible fruits.  What's the point?  They'd do better to amuse
themselves by grafting a branch from a known female blue persimmon onto a
good quality tree.  That way they could show someone the difference without
all that wasted space and time.     Donna