[NAFEX] rootstock suggestions for apples and pears

Deb S debs913 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 08:58:17 EST 2009

I want to try some grafting and was wondering what rootstocks you all would
recommend for apple and pear trees.  Here are my parameters:

--Zone 5/6 (right on the line) generally we have plenty of moisture in SE
Ohio, some snowfall in winter, our biggest weather hazards are early thaws
and late freezes

--heavy clay soil ..I am working to amend the soil, but it takes time!

--fireblight is a problem here

--we have the usual range of pests and diseases, but except for fireblight,
nothing major

--I would like rootstock that will produce a tree that is dwarf or
semi-dwarf.

I am pretty new to this, so any tips would be most appreciated!

Deb S
SE Ohio