[NAFEX] "Crandall currant seedlings"

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 21:28:03 EST 2009

Quoting myself again,

             The most widely grown clove currant was found in the wild
by R. W. Crandall of Newton, Kansas, in 1888. ‘Crandall’, as it was
called, had the virtue of bearing tasty fruits up to three-quarters of
an inch in diameter. Unfortunately, many plants sold as ‘Crandall’
were seedlings, so plants were variable, leading some writers to
report the flavor as good, others to report “tough skin, unpleasant
flavor” (fruits on my plants have tender skins and a very nice
flavor). In 1867, ‘Deseret’ was selected. This clove currant cultivar
was productive and bore large, dark fruits, “pleasant and slightly
tart.” ‘Jelly’, another cultivar, had a tough skin, but an “agreeable”
taste, and ‘Vermillion’, ‘Golden Prolific’, and ‘Amber’ evidently were
cultivars with brightly colored fruits.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich: