[NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Fri Nov 6 14:44:27 EST 2009

 From Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden (again):

             Grafting has not been a very satisfactory method of
juneberry propagation. Grafts often take on rootstocks of other
genera, such as mountain ash, hawthorn, and other members of the rose
family, but the grafted plants sometimes stop growing. Stocks
generally used have included Cotoneaster acutifolius, C. bullatus,
Sorbus intermedia, and S. aucuparia. Amelanchier alnifolia is
apparently the juneberry most compatible with other genera. Plant
juneberries grafted onto other genera low enough in the ground to
allow the juneberry scion to root. The rootstock, in this case, acts
as a temporary nurse root, but may have the unfortunate habit of
continually sending up sprouts. Crataegus arnoldiana as a juneberry
rootstock reputedly shuns this bad habit.

             Interestingly, one Amelanchier species is not always
graft compatible with another. When grafting a juneberry scion onto
juneberry roots, choose a nonsuckering clone for roots or you will
constantly be finding shoots thrown up from the rootstock.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year