[NAFEX] Northern Spy redux

fuwa fuwa usagi fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com
Fri Nov 6 14:04:43 EST 2009

John queries thusly:

What I wasn't sure
about was whether the N. Spy rooting would completely dominate, or if
the combination of standard and dwarfing roots would simulate semi-
dwarfing rootstock.

My reply:

In case no one answered this question clearly, assuming the Northern Spy roots you will be looking at a full sized tree.  In my case, in my area, and my soil(I have very good soil) that would be a 60-80 foot tree.

If you want to semi-dwarf try an interstem.  The other thing you can do if you want to get fancy is start off with your nifty dwarf rootstock and then nurse graft in something more substantial like M26 or M7 to provide more vigor.  Personally I don't think I would bother.  What I might do is plant a Spy on M27 or something and also plant it on semi dwarf.  When the Semi dwarf started to fruit I'd take out the dwarf - and as Ross Perot would say "Problem Solved".

they fluffy one