[NAFEX] black currrants and persimmons

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Fri Nov 6 11:52:26 EST 2009

Actually I have been able to eat a quince raw after leaving out at room
temperature for many days.  It begins to soften and ripen.  It's not
juicy but it does become tasty.  And they smell great as they are
ripening.  I sometimes buy one in the fall and just leave it on my
pillow for a month or two because it smells so nice.  Of course, in NM
were dry enough that fruits that are left out don't rot.

I think the issue is not eating them raw but eating them unripe.  Aren't
fruits, by their nature, designed to attract animals to eat them to
disburse the seeds?  That means they are going to be edible to some
animal but not until the seeds are mature enough to be disbursed, hence
an unripe period in which the fruit will not taste good.

This is different from tubers, like potatoes, which are inherently
designed for energy storage for the next year's growth.  It's only
incidental that some animals have become adapted for eating them.  Even
when a bear digs up a tuber, it may leave it in a pile of dirt for a day
or two and then come back for it, after which time the complex starches
have begun to break down into simpler sugars, making it more digestible.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews