[NAFEX] Ribes update

rmelrose at danvilleVT.net rmelrose at danvilleVT.net
Fri Nov 6 09:51:04 EST 2009

You caught me there Donna, I am a transplant not a native. I have a
Crandall growing somewhere, but as you say, it doesn't taste much like a
blackcurrant. Of people I have persuaded to try them -- when pretty ripe on
the bush and after warning that they are rather strong -- about half
actually seem to like the taste. For me Ben Nevis has been the best regular
producer followed by Ben Lomond, which is very similar, Ben Connan which
tastes a bit different, Ben Sarek which seems stronger in flavor but
has been the shiest producer and smallest bush and Consort which has not
produced very well either -- they all make wonderful pies and jam. I have tried
various combinations of these for Cassis (the recipe is roughly vodka
steeped in blackcurrants, left together in the sun for a month or two) and
Ben Sarek is noticeably the best. I am thinking of trying a few more
varieties -- I planted Titania last year -- but I am pretty happy with the
Scottish bred ones so far.

Richard

On 6 Nov, Kieran &/or Donna wrote: > Richard, I'm pleased to hear you like
Ben Sarek, as it was one I worried > about a little.  Supposed to be more
dis res than B. Lomand, but just one > reference said they were hard to
hand pick.  Re Titania, it's said to be > weak on flavor and sometimes
bitter.  Seeing as my husband is after flavor, > I couldn't see a lot of
point.  I think that high praise for a black currant > from most Americans
would be, "doesn't taste much like black currant".  > Hence the popularity
of Crandall, which I ordered too.  Donna >