[NAFEX] black currrants and persimmons

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Fri Nov 6 09:01:52 EST 2009

People who've grown up with persimmons don't eat them underripe.  Likewise people who've grown up with black currants don't eat them raw.  Ditto for potatoes.  I've tried and tried to come up with a familiar parallel, but we seem to all have this idea that if it's fruit, it must be good to just pick it and eat it.  Quinces are not for eating raw, but Americans aren't very familiar with them either.  Any other, preferably familiar, fruits that have to be cooked to enjoy?   Donna