[NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Thu Nov 5 12:15:21 EST 2009

Robert, I don't know what part of the country you are in.  I have grown
both Amelanchiers here in NM, where the growing conditions and fruiting
conditions are very demanding, and they are one of my biggest
successes.  They fruit regularly.  The animals, so far, have mostly left
them alone.  The last on the bush for a long time, going from juicy to a
little drier, so that if I don't get them right away, they will still be
there and will be tasty.

Actually, only my A.a's have fruited so far, but I expect the same form
A.c.

Be sure to get selected varieties for good flavor.  I believe they will
be significantly tastier than species.  Yes, they do remind me a bit of
blueberries.  Not as juicy, at least here, but a perfectly yummy fruit
in its own right.

As for A.a vs A.c., I am hoping that my A.c's will provide more fruit,
being significantly bigger plants.  But I like having both, because the
A.a's do fruit pretty heavily.  I'm talking about 10 year old plants
that are maybe two feet high max, so maybe 50 or 70 fruits on each one.

They do seem to grow strongly here (nothing gets too tall around here)
considering the poor soil, high alkalinity and rugged wind and sun.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews