[NAFEX] Ribes update

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Thu Nov 5 11:16:10 EST 2009

My picks for gooseberries that combine very good flavor with very good
disease resistance are Poorman, Black Satin, Red Jacket (not the
European variety with this same name), and Glendale, all of which
thrive in my NY's Zone 5 Hudson Valley farmden. Hinonmakis Yellow is
an excellent variety except that it has not borne well for the past
two years; it is very weak growing and was too inundated by other
plants. I've moved it.

The very best tasting gooseberries are those European ones, such as
Whitesmith, Webster, etc. They have very mean thorns and are very
susceptible to mildew.

Pixwell is small, tough, and too tart, not worth growing at all, in my
opinion. I also don't consider Hinonmakis Red (aka Lepaa Red) worth
growing or eating.

As far as blackcurrants, I like the taste of Titania very much. Other
favorites are some of the Russian varieties, such as Kirovchanka and
Belaruskaja. As a matter of fact, they are among my favorite of all
fruits! I'm digging up all my Consorts as well as Ben Sarek, the
latter having large berries but, to me, bad tasting.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year