[NAFEX] Butternut info needed

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 5 09:20:42 EST 2009

Sarah,  If you have room, you should jump at the chance as I take it they
are not too common there?  Jay's comments on location are worth noting, if
you can get a look at where the tree is, or a topo map of the area where the
tree is growing, you may find that it is an especially favored site.  If
your soil is less suitable they may grow more slowly for you, if you get
more wind you may find that it's not really that much hardier than the trees
you already have.  You may be too far north for canker, which would be good
for preserving some butternut germplasm as I hear they are disappearing
fast.  Two bits of advice, plant where you want them as I assume they make
taproots (?), and protect from squirrels.  The tin can with the X in it has
worked for us.  Donna