[NAFEX] Planting Butternuts and Black Walnuts

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 13:44:16 EST 2009

Another idea for defeating those dedicated nut robbers!

I'm copy-pasting this as a clip of an article titled "The Butternut Tree" (If you want to read the whole thing, it can be found on the Canadian Organic Growers website).

"In all growing zones 3-9, the butternuts can be planted outside immediately upon being collected and ashed. They may be planted in their final location or in a nursery row. In a row, they are planted 2" (5 cm) deep, spaced about 5 nuts to a 12" (30 cm) row. Each nut should receive a small pinch of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) on top of the nut before the soil is closed in. This bicarbonate salt will de-scent the nut from the prying noses of the local squirrel populations. Then talcing of woodash should be shaken over the row as an added fungicidal precaution."

Thanks for all the great information folks!

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB