[NAFEX] Northern Spy Strategy

Ed Fackler ed.fackler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 04:39:02 EST 2009

Regarding a strategy for inducing Northern Spy to fruit quickly and in the
process keep the tree size down, my advice is simply to plant/grow NovaSpy
instead.

Reason.  Aside from the more well known faults or problems with Northern
Spy, in many years it drops fruit prior to maturity (especially during
abnormally hot/dry periods late in the season).  It is terribly biannual and
if not picked at the proper time storage ability is not that good.

Regarding NovaSpy, it has enough of that Spy flavor/texture to make it very
good.  It is very precocious (much quicker to fruit) and is resistant to
Scab (sensative to CAR though).

Or Northern Spy is a bear to grow.

ed