[NAFEX] Rooting currants

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 00:05:57 EST 2009

This year, I rooted about 75 black current cuttings if July. A couple of
weeks after fruiting, I pruned the bushes, primarily getting rid of older
wood. I then took the branches and cut them into about 8 inch sections and
placed them in water in a shady area. I had almost all cuttings take root.
All were planted this fall. Both current year's growth and older wood
developed roots. About 5% were lost due to rotting.

The currents were Ben Sarek and Ben Lomonde. Ben Sarek didn't root as
vigourously as BL.

I did the same with figs, namely taking cuttings (12")  and placing them in
water. Again, both current year's growth and older wood rooted. The fig was
a yellow Excel. They were planted in soil in late Sept. (I never had good
success rooting them the normal way with dormant cuttings in taken in the
winter)

Unfortunately, the summer was so poor, the 20 or so figs on the mother plant
never developed. All the leaves have now dropped leaving the nice large figs
still green on the branches. A poor year in general for figs.

jmb