[NAFEX] Northern Spy Strategy

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Tue Nov 3 15:28:57 EST 2009

I concur with the fluffy one.

An own-rooted Northern Spy can easily become a monster.

Whlie I have no personal experience with scion-rooting, what others have
reported over the years strongly suggests that at least with apples you
can't be sure when the scion-rooting will occur. If you plant Northern
Spy on a full dwarfing stock deep for scion rooting, you may have to
support some of them anyway, for some time, and you will have a very
uneven row.

Northern Spies on seedling reputedly take about 12 years to come into
bearing and if you are careless with dormant pruning you can fairly
easily run that up to 20 years. If your scion rooting were quick, you
might be in deep trouble.

 From reading, the procedure with young Northern Spies on just about any
stock is: avoid dormant pruning as much as you possibly can, control the
tree with summer pruning, and do as much as you can with pinching tips
and rubbing out buds.

Otherwise, it's a very fine apple.

The extra fuss of propagating interstem trees will be recovered several
times over in cost and personal stress avoided

But do you expect stakes to be that much trouble?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada