[NAFEX] Northern Spy Strategy

fuwa fuwa usagi fuwafuwausagi at muchomail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:32:08 EST 2009

It was written:

I would appreciate opinions on this strategy for Northern Spy trees.
Start with Northern Spy on fully dwarfing rootstock to encourage
earlier first fruiting. After fruiting has started, build up soil
above the bud union, in order to increase size of tree and improve
anchoring.

My reply:

Well it depends on what you are attempting to accomplish.  If you have  a 4 story home and want to pick apples out of the windows of each floor that may be the way to go.

I don't know how much room you have or what your requirements are nor your soil type.  If you are a home grower and only want one tree I would probably adopt a very different strategy.

I suspect based on what you have written that ultimately an interstem may be the way to go.  Apples are not small trees on their own root in good soil.  And Northern Spy is a big tree.

the fluffy one