[NAFEX] Grafting suggestions

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Mon Nov 2 17:30:42 EST 2009

My experience has been limited but I had no great difficulty with
budding, teaching myself the conventional T-budding method from R. J.
Garner's "The Grafter's Handbook." I used commercial rubber strips as
supplied to the nursery trade 30 years ago.

I did learn the hard way the need for strict attention to some
fundamentals: the stock should be in full sun with plenty of water and
soil fertility, well weeded or mulched, growing vigourously, bark
slipping *well*. My budwood was supplied by experts so was mature.

I did have a problem in that my budwood was from longer season areas so
by the time it was mature and was shipped, my stocks tended to shut
down. I found some tricks by accident. I fertilized with fresh cow
manure two or three weeks before, and pruned off the lower third of the
branchlets from the stock. This kept the stock growing (pruning delays
dormancy) and its bark slipping. The take was great.

I was working on a small scale and had a ferocious mouse problem, so cut
off the stocks when the leaves dropped and covered them with 48 ounce
juice cans with many holes punctured with nails. Stocks seemed to
tolerate this treatment well.

I used a standard budding knife, kept it sharp, protected the budwood
and the job from drying out, usually keeping the budwood ends in water.
I kept everything clean.

I think that if the knife is rigid and sharp and the cambium of both
parts is kept from drying out, the conventional technique will give a
good contact of the two cambia. I can imagine that if one were operating
on a large scale and were not very careful and if either cambium dried
out a bit, there could easily be problems. I was operating in the fairly
humid climate of southern Ontario, close to the Lake Ontario shore.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada