[NAFEX] Butternut info needed

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 17:17:55 EST 2009

I should have mentioned that I have bought several 6' butternut trees over the last few years and planted them in small clearings with lots of tree protection.  I've never had them die back, but I did lose one spring 09 that had previously made it thru 4 winters with no problem.  I blame that on me not watering them in last fall after last summers drought.  The other three butternuts did fine.

However, I have no experience with young plants or with growing them from seed and really haven't done much more than admire them and water them occasionally.  I have heard that larger plants are hardier, but am hoping someone can comment on hardiness when the seeds come from a similarly cold climate rather than from many zones warmer.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB
elevation 2373 feet