[NAFEX] Grafting in a Botany Class

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 1 11:51:18 EST 2009

Are you really stuck on cleft grafting?  As a rank beginner, I learned bud grafting in a class taught by Dr. Evans.  The lesson took 1-2 minutes (simple bud grafting sealing the graft with strips of parafilm) and the rest of the class time was a demo of other grafting types, discussion of grafting compatibility (eg. pears on saskatoon or hawthorne, apricots on plum) and the practical application of bud grafting with lots of grafted trees to take home.  The success rate for rank beginners was much closer to 95% which might make your students happier and more likely to keep interested and trying than a bunch of failed complicated grafts would.

Just a thought! ;o)

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB