[NAFEX] of raspberries and peas

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 29 06:04:01 EDT 2009

On balance, the benefits probably outweigh the disease/ pest risks for most combinations of annual veggies & fruit crops.

Of course, tall, heavy feeders, like corn would be out.  Solanaceous crops like tomatoes can harbor some nasty diseases that attack Rubus.

Lush crops like peas (Pisum sativum in case anyone objects to that common name) can harbor massive aphid populations which can then migrate to the fruit crops unless one has a very good population of predators ready to handle the extra pest load.  I once interplanted Austrian winter peas as a cover crop for my orchard and, after mowing down the mature pea vines, had the worst aphid infestation that I've seen in the last 30 years.

With those caveats, I think it's a great idea.  With a judicious choice of veggie companions, & a healthy population of beneficials, you'll be pleased with the results.

Regards,

Anton
'Gutherie' plums, Wilder Early pears and peaches ripening.