[NAFEX] companion planting for space

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 28 14:11:53 EDT 2009

To add more information about the previous posting about interplanting
veggies with fruit trees, I would like to mention that
1 - my apple trees are on a hillside facing south
2 - I plant a squash on the south side, the trees are semi dward or under as
far as size goes, and no there are not too much shade. For the very shady
trees, it would be necessary to plant a little further from the trunk, drip
line for instance. I plant just about any type of trailing squash that would
take space. This year, I have hubbards, emerald cup (a smaller turban type
(2 lbs)), butternut, acorn, vegetable marrow. The zuchini (on a bush) stays
in the garden. Last year, I had squashes until May, all grown around apple
trees.
3. It forced me to improve the soil around the trees, which is of course
very beneficial for the trees on the long run. (I had poor gravely soil, to
begin with).
For each squash plant, I turn in a bucket of compost with manure mixed in
with 1/4 cup lime as squash like a high ph... I also mulch the squash, which
also mulch the tree although I don't like straw or vegetation too close to
the trunk as I have to watch for borers...
4. I do not spray the trees... except dormant oil.

Hélène, zone 3-4