[NAFEX] bark stripping

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 27 00:06:31 EDT 2009

Normally wasps around here go for wooden sheds and fence posts to make their
nests.  Last year due to the huge fruit crop, there were large numbers of
giant hornets, and they stripped bark off fruit tree branches.  A number of
branches on one plums were nearly killed by girdling low on the branch.  And
this spring I noted the top of a young persimmon tree was dead and cut it
out.  I discovered that several feet of a 1/2" thick leader had been
stripped of bark.  This was definitely NOT deer damage, as the dogs keep the
deer away.  Besides, there were plenty of easier and better things to eat
than the bark high in a persimmon.....     Donna