[NAFEX] "science," and deer vs. honeyberries

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri Jun 26 22:06:13 EDT 2009

Porcupines?

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Matt Demmon
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 8:57 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "science," and deer vs. honeyberries

Throw in my two cents two weeks late: I haven't observed any browsing
damage on the tips or young growth of the common exotic honeysuckles
around here, but something loves to strip all the bark off of older
stems 2-6 inches in diameter. Not sure if it's rabbits or deer, but it
usually doesn't cause much of an issue, ocassional death of a stem. My
honeyberries are in my yard, and we have very light deer pressure even
compared to the rest of the area, so I can't comment on them
specifically.