[NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Jun 26 11:14:41 EDT 2009

My son Chris is an expert on snakes so I asked  him.  Here's what he
said:

"Given the size of his snake and timing of the sighting, it's probably
a gravid female. They often climb or crawl onto perches from which they
can get the most sun, in order to incubate their babies. Remember, they
give live birth. This time of year, garter snakes across all but the
southern states are gravid, and close to giving birth. The
well-developed embryos greatly reduce their mobility, and they are in a
hurry to get the babies out!

The other thing is that, in addition to slugs and earthworms, garter
snakes will eat frogs (e.g., tree frogs), lizards, mice, and selected
insects. So it may have been chasing a prey you didn't see.

My $.02! :) "

-Lon Rombough
short, low resolution clip here:
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :