[NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Jun 26 10:58:04 EDT 2009

This is only slightly on topic - and it's not very important, at that -
but can anyone tell me what the garter snakes are doing climbing my
black raspberry canes? I doubt if they're eating the raspberries. :-)

I've got LOTS of garter snakes in the yard, and I'm always glad to see
them. But seeing a big (for a garter snake) snake three feet off the
ground in the raspberry patch yesterday was kind of surprising. What was
it doing? I thought they mostly ate earthworms, but the other day,
someone here mentioned slugs, so maybe that's what it was looking for. I
never see slugs when I'm picking raspberries (though I haven't been
looking), but I don't know what else the snake could catch there.

Just wondering - though, I guess, not enough to spend time searching
online. As I say, it's not very important, but does anyone know? I've
seen snakes climbing bushes and vines often enough, but this is the
first time I've seen one climb raspberries. I assume that they're
hunting something, though maybe it's just safer than staying on the ground?

OK, time to go pick raspberries again, if the snakes - or, more likely,
the birds - haven't gotten there first. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed. -
Bertrand Russell