[NAFEX] Greensand equals Manganese toxicity

Mathew Waehner waehner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 08:39:33 EDT 2009

Ernest is right, but we associate "heavy metal" with toxins like mercury and
loud music.

Manganese is a micronutrient, and it easily becomes toxic.  Far better to
manage these through soil pH and lots of organic matter in the soil to act
as a buffer.  Boron, copper and zinc all exist on a fine line between toxic
and deficient.

What is a amazing is that life has built soil that contains the proper
portions of these elements, while their abundance varies widely in source
rock.