[NAFEX] Gooseberry question

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Jun 24 14:51:07 EDT 2009

Jim,

I'm not sure where the water you mention is coming from - melted from frost
on the berries, or are you washing them to remove the trash?
Would putting the berries in a colander and spraying them with cold water
work?  Perhaps that would remove the trash, maybe with some swishing-around
of the berries to hit all surfaces.  It would also defrost the berries.

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Jim Fruth
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:01 AM
To: NAFEX
Subject: [NAFEX] Gooseberry question

Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote, "I hear it is much easier to top and tail
gooseberries if you freeze them first and then roll them around.  The tops
and tails supposedly just fall off.  Anyone tried this?"

    I tried it and it does work but separating the berries from the trash
was problematic.  Some of the tops floated in water but some of them stuck
to the berries.  Stems were somewhat less of a problem.  Perhaps if the
fruit was frozen in trays in a frost-free freezer there might be less of an
adhesion problem.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472