[NAFEX] Gooseberry question

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Wed Jun 24 09:00:35 EDT 2009

Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote, "I hear it is much easier to top and tail
gooseberries if you freeze them first and then roll them around.  The tops
and tails supposedly just fall off.  Anyone tried this?"

    I tried it and it does work but separating the berries from the trash
was problematic.  Some of the tops floated in water but some of them stuck
to the berries.  Stems were somewhat less of a problem.  Perhaps if the
fruit was frozen in trays in a frost-free freezer there might be less of an
adhesion problem.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472