[NAFEX] Gooseberry question

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jun 24 07:30:46 EDT 2009

I hear it is much easier to top and tail gooseberries
if you freeze them first and then roll them around.
The tops and tails supposedly just fall off.  Anyone
tried this?

Yep.  Have done 'em that way for years.  Works
nicely, and there's no way I was gonna sit down and
individually pick stem & style from each berry.
I found it works best if you don't fill the freezer
bag completely - put like a pint of berries in a
quart bag, freeze them, and then it's easier to
roll/massage them around, and you get enough freedom
of movement that the tops & tails come off more
readily than if you had 'em really packed in there.

Lucky
z6 KY