[NAFEX] Don't use Bt

Mathew Waehner waehner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:53:16 EDT 2009

If the Bt bacteria has really spread all over your garden, why is it so much
more sucessful than other bacteria?  What does the Bt eat, and why don't
native bacteria compete for that food source?

I tend to think that if someone could produce a live bacteria product that
would eradicate caterpillars for years, the world would (unwisely) beat a
path to their door.

I used it for cabbage moths last year, and they came back every time it
rained.  I also use the mosquito toxic bt in my rain barrels, and it only
lasts a week. ( I use the small pellets, not the dunks)