[NAFEX] black currant recipes

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Sun Jun 21 21:06:14 EDT 2009

Jostas are a complex cross, I understand, between two currants and a
gooseberry.  Haven’t tasted it, but do understand it’s very black-curranty.
I agree with you about the use of black currants in baking – they’re very
strongly flavored.  I use them as a substitute for raisins or cranberries;
or for currants, when the recipe intended zantes.

I like all your ideas, and I love your apple/currant juice idea.

As far as classic recipes, if one can’t find blackcurrant jelly and crème de
cassis recipes online, I’m pretty sure I have them around.  I also love
currant fondant in chocolates, and currant hard candies.  Not so much with
the anthocyanins or the healthy.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of M Stanton
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:50 PM
To: 'North American Fruit Explorers'
Subject: [NAFEX] black currant recipes

I have black currants (jostaberries).  I don’t pick them until they are dead
ripe, which is easy to do because they hold very well on the bush.

I freeze them, stem in,  in 2-3 c quantities and use them in lieu of recipes
calling for blackberries, blueberries or raspberries, but with a couple of
caveats.

First, I don’t use them in a dessert by themselves.  The flavor is strong
enough that most people don’t care for them that way.  I made an apple-black
currant cobbler today for dessert, using a recipe for an apple-berry
cobbler, but made sure that there was 2-3x as many apples as jostaberries.
They substitute well for other berries or soft fruits, but usually in
proportions where they are no more than 1/3 of the fruit.  Apples are a good
partner.

Jostas are a terrific source of anthocyanins.

One of my favorite ways to consume them is to simmer 2 cups’ fruit in a 48
or 64 oz container’s worth of apple juice, then put it in the blender,
strain out the seeds and skins, and voila!  A great juice.

Hope this helps.

Michele in SW Ohio