[NAFEX] phophorous availability

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Jun 21 17:09:00 EDT 2009

It's my understanding that some crops, in particular buckwheat, are
capable of taking up P from the soil even when it's in a form not
available to most plants; and that using such plants as a cover crop
(tilling them back in) can then provide that P in a form available to
other plants.

I did a very fast search and found a number of references to this; one,
though it didn't go into any detail, sounded as if the buckwheat might
be doing this along with fungal associations, though I hadn't heard of
this aspect before. No time right now to look into it further.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly