[NAFEX] leachy phosphorous

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 21:59:16 EDT 2009

Ok, the contradictions on this site to my understanding of phosphorous was
starting to bug me.  I was beginning to think my memory was going so I went
to my book shelf and grabbed Brady's "The Nature and Property of Soils" to
look up phoshorus.  I quickly found this statement "When soluble forms (of
phosphorous) such as those found in manures and fertilizers are added
to soils they are fixed (bonded tightly to soil solids in a form generally
unavailable to plants) or are changed to unavailable forms and in time react
further to become highly insoluble forms".  He goes on to say that
"phosphate is essentially an immobile nutrient".

Does anyone have some actual information that contradicts this, based on
scientific understanding?  Or am I just not understanding what I'm reading?