[NAFEX] FB resistant pears

Natelson, Ethan, M.D. ENatelson at tmhs.org
Fri Jun 19 15:14:04 EDT 2009

Donna,

     We cannot grow classical Bartlett pears in Houston, but do have
many other varieties that simulate named quality pears, but have lower
chill requirements.  We have the Southern Bartlett, which looks like a
Bartlett, which is why Travis Callahan gave it that name.  It is a
chance seedling from southern Louisiana but does not speak French.  It
has good size, heavy bearing, good fireblight resistance (not quite as
good as Tenn) and has an excellent flavor on a fairly large spreading
tree on P.calleryana rootstock.  It is the favorite pear of birds during
the day and tree rats in the evening.

Regards, Ethan