[NAFEX] weeder geese

Kieran &/or Donna holycow at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 18 22:26:24 EDT 2009

Back when I thought I wanted geese, I came across info on small weeder geese that were used in  cotton fields in the south.  A dozen geese could do the work of one man with a hoe.  They ran them in the fields early in the season, they ate the grass and produced a luxury meat crop to sell.  They were really necessary during the world wars when manpower was short.  I'd think that some of the organic cotton growers ought to get in on it.
    Likewise it seems that for strawberries the geese are brought in early and get the grass out before the plants get going good.  It's not like they are standing around on the berries in picking season.  The trick is not too many geese, just enough to do the job.    Donna