[NAFEX] Honeyberry hardiness

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Thu Jun 18 10:50:07 EDT 2009

Donna asked, "What about spring freezes, do they bloom early or reasonably
late?  And do the blossoms ever freeze out where ya'll are?"

    My Honeyberries bloomed before anything else.  Late frosts fried the
strawberry flowers but didn't affect the honeyberry flowers or the
developing fruit.  The flowers are a long bell shape and bumble bees seemed
to get frustrated because their tongues weren't long enough to reach any
nectar.  I suspect mine are either wind pollinated or something came in the
night to do the pollinating.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472