[NAFEX] Fluffy's point

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Jun 17 16:08:34 EDT 2009

I would guess quality is just something that varies from market to market
(market as in regional or a specific outlet).  Here, the best produce in
town - for appearance as well as outstanding flavor - is at the one market
that carries only organic produce.  But this is the California Central
Valley, where there are many experienced organic farmers.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Road's End Farm
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:17 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fluffy's point

On Jun 17, 2009, at 5:54 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

Rivka will probably argue this, but when I go to a farm market around here
and compare organic to other stands, the offerings are relatively poor and
expensive in general, especially when it comes to fruit.  Even the heads of
lettuce tend to be smaller and much more expensive than that offered by
small farms that do use some synthetic chemicals.

I will most certainly argue this. I don't know about your markets, maybe
your growers don't know what they're doing yet -- or possibly the organic
growers have customers who prefer smaller lettuce, which is indeed
considered better by a lot of people. I have seen absolutely gorgeous
displays from organic growers at market.

No time for more now, I have to go harvest (among other things, lettuce.
It's gorgeous lettuce.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly