[NAFEX] Fluffy's point

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 17 08:16:34 EDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 5:54 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

>  Rivka will probably argue this, but when I go to a farm market around
> here and compare organic to other stands, the offerings are relatively
> poor and expensive in general, especially when it comes to fruit.
> Even the heads of lettuce tend to be smaller and much more expensive
> than that offered by small farms that do use some synthetic chemicals.

I will most certainly argue this. I don't know about your markets,
maybe your growers don't know what they're doing yet -- or possibly the
organic growers have customers who prefer smaller lettuce, which is
indeed considered better by a lot of people. I have seen absolutely
gorgeous displays from organic growers at market.

No time for more now, I have to go harvest (among other things,
lettuce. It's gorgeous lettuce.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly